L.A. to Boston - May 10 to June 28 - 3415 Miles

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Day 9 - Rest Day in Flagstaff, AZ - 0 mi

This is our rest day in Flagstaff. I'm also getting caught up on stuff. After shipping some unused items home yesterday, I repacked my bags this morning. I won't have to struggle to get the zippers closed each morning. That will be a relief.


My Army friend from Sedona, Bob Herring, drove up in his roadster to spend a few hours with me. He had also spotted me coasting down to Jerome two days ago. We were both stationed in Augsburg, Germany, in 1970 and did some motorcycle touring through the Swiss Alps on his BMW. We have kept in touch over the years. He bought a BMW motorcycle from me in 1997 and flew back to Iowa to ride it home to Arizona. He still has it. Kim and I visited him and his wife, Annie, while on an auto trip through the Sedona area last year. It is an entirely different experience seeing the sights from a bicycle this year.



Bob took me out for lunch at Oregano's Pizza Bistro, a quaint little place with a 50's atmospere. The salads and pizza were out of this world.



After lunch, we drove up to the ski area on the San Francisco Peaks north of Flagstaff. We spotted several local cyclists who had driven up to the base of the mountain, cycled seven miles up and then coasted down. It was a beautiful drive with very little traffic.

Tomorrow we head for Holbrook, riding on Route 66 and passing through Winslow on the way.

I may at times not have time to post daily so don't be concerned. If it gets to be several days, better send out a search party.

Bye for now and thanks for the comments.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Bob:

Looks like you had a very relaxing day off. It was well desevered, coming through the desert was the hardest part. But don't get too comfortable you still have lots of riding in front of you. Great job on the blog it looks great and reads very well.

Have fun!

Terry