L.A. to Boston - May 10 to June 28 - 3415 Miles

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Day 8 - Cottonwood, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ - 46 mi - 6600 feet climbing

Riding from Cottonwood to Sedona on a beautifully smooth highway. This is the first morning that we have not had headwinds.

The Pink Jeep Tours and Restaurant in Sedona.


Heading up Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona towards Flagstaff.


The 2.2 mile steep climb up out of Oak Creek Canyon. This is probably the steepest grade of our tour. I don't know the % grade and it's probably best if I don't know. It was a hot climb.


Here is George, our 72 year-old from England, taking a short break at 1.1 mile point of the 2.2 mile climb. You're half-way up George!


Looking back down upon the 2.2 miles climb route. Did I really just pedal up there?


Another view of the Oak Creek Canyon climb.



Flagstaff at last and just in time as the headwind is starting to pick up. That's the San Francisco Peaks north of Flagstaff in the background - just to the right of my head. There is snow on them.


Time to clean up. Our bags are placed in our rooms and the a/c is turned on before we arrive - can't beat that! We have to get everything we own in those two bags, including computers - except for what we are wearing and carrying on the bike. The two bags cannot weigh over 30 lbs total.

Rest day tomorrow in Flagstaff. Actually this is rest day and I'm catching up on my blog - so the posting dates do not always correspond to the ride date.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your day off and say HI to Bob H. for me. Your blog brings back memories of our SUV trip thru Arizona last June. You're getting into the prettier areas of Arizona.
Have fun!
Love,Kim

marj said...

hello Bob I forgot to mention the last message I sent was for George,just in case you wondered who Marj was, wish you all good luck after your rest day, Marj and Penny.

Terry said...

Bob:
Great pictures! I am sure that everyone takes a picture of that pink pig in Sedona. I have sevearl including one of the riders kissing the pig. The Sedona to Flagstaff ride is one of the prettiest on the entire tour. I like how you are doing the blog with lots of pictures. It looks very nice.

After Flagstaff is another couple of hard days as I remmember. So have a good rest.

Terry

Rog said...

Bob, it has been a real joy following you via your blog. What an experience! Rog

deano said...

Dont even know how you managed them hills, they look seep as hell. well done.
dean