L.A. to Boston - May 10 to June 28 - 3415 Miles

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 50 - Saturday, June 28 - Boston, MA, to Grinnell, IA - 1250 miles by airplane

I shared a taxi with three other people to Boston Logan Airport. We drove through the "Big Dig" tunnel - an extensive freeway system under downtown Boston. It, greatly, relieved the congestion on the above ground streets and made it much faster to pass through the city - especially much faster to reach the airport. The Big Dig was in the news in recent years because of construction disasters and extravagant cost overruns.


I had a connecting flight in Milwaukee, WI, so the route out of Boston took my flight on a path over Syracuse, NY, where we had stayed six nights ago and also where my sister, Janet, lives. As I watched our progress over the terrain, I tried to visualize riding the distance on a bicycle. I'm not able, yet, to comprehend what we have done the last seven weeks. During the tour, one would hear rider after rider saying that they couldn't think of doing the overall trip as it seemed unattainable. We found that we had to only think of one day at a time. Each day, after riding a distance to the next overnight, most of us could not name the town that we had stayed in the night before. We were only focused on the day's destination. One day I was riding alone and a highway patrolman stopped to ask if I was lost. He asked where I was coming from and where I was going. I had to look at our route sheet to remind me. While riding, we get so lost in our thoughts that we lose track of everything else. We just make the turns called for on our route sheets and that gets us to our destination.

A typical "route sheet" that we used for our daily guidance. Left-click on the sheet for a larger view. We folded them in quarters and attached them to our handlebars - usually in a waterproof see-through pouch.



The Milwaukee, WI, airport.

Thanks for reading my blog during the tour and I have really appreciated your encouraging comments.

Bob

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was driving south on main st this morning when a cyclist past me going north, I am sure that it was George, I`m sure that I could hear the cyclist repeating to himself, keep left... keep left ( Kidding.) but I am sure that it was George, I will check with him in the morning (Tuesday). I bet that the highway patroleman is still standing at the side of the highway with his hands on hips in total disbelief when you told him that you were riding L.A. to Boston. Fantastic, glad that it all worked out fine, what an achievement, you all have such a lot to be proud of....awesome.
Regards and best wishes for the future, thank`s a million for helping us to make this ride with you.
Ray & Margaret Wilcox. England.

Rog said...

Bob,

Thanks so much for taking us along on your wonderful journey. Your blog and accomplishments have been so monumental. The opportunity that Janet and I had to see you along the way was an extra special treat. You write a wonderful blog, too, and I hope you keep doing it. Love to Kim. We will long remember that we were at your home when hearing that Kian was about to be born. Have a great summer. Rog

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! An exceptional adventure that I appreciate you sharing. Take at least a day or two off from riding, I bet it feels a little strange to not be riding now?!

Take care, I'll be in Iowa in a few weeks for Ragbrai, which now seems like such a silly little ride...

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
Great job on your blog. First chance I got to read it. I downloaded a bunch of your pics because they are so good and will enhance what I took. You can see some of my pics and journal at "crazyguyonabike.com". Look up under my name.

Warren Kinsey

kaz said...

hi. bob. yes george my dad home safe and sound thanks... he is now entertaining us with his stories..... he is a one hahaha
and thanks again for helping us to follow him along his route. take care and all the very best
karen xx